Friday, March 6, 2015

We are home!!!

This house buying event was more complicated and stressful. It really shouldn't have been! This is our 3rd home....this should be piece of cake!!

First of all...the market is doing great here in Burleson! It was so hard to find a house that we could call our own. We were going to settle for a foreclosure and fix it up. We even placed an offer. But the day we signed the contract, we found this other house around the corner. Move in ready! We offered asking price...and we were very flexible with them and practically gave them everything they wanted. And then we got a contract!! We were so very excited. And Elliott was able to start school!!

Inspection went great...no issues. Appraisal took forever...but no worries.

The day our finance approval was due (where we could still get out of the contract and not lose our earnest money), there was a glitch (2 weeks before closing). We were doing a VA loan. Our lender saw that on the certificate of eligibility from VA....it says Patrick was in active military! He hasn't been in 20 years! Since it was incorrect, we wouldn't be able to get funded. We had to PROVE that Patrick was discharged from the military. We had to scrounge in our storage unit for paperwork...We didn't know if we'd ever find it. BUT WE DID!! We got that submitted to our lender. And then we had to extend our closing date 1 week.

3 days before closing, our realtor asked our lender for an update. So our lender called VA to see the status. Apparently, the person at VA filed it completely wrong....luckily our lender got hold of a competent one, and they fixed it right then over the phone and emailed it immediately. Whew! That would have been a close one!!

Friday, Feb 27th is suppose to be our closing. Super bad weather was suppose to come in. So we were able to close Thursday afternoon! Thank goodness. Yucky icy roads and snowing all day Friday...I don't think we would have made it to closing that day. The sellers did close Friday morning. We had to let them stay in the house for a few more days...one of their demands when we were negotiating the original offer. It was rather annoying. But we wouldn't have been able to move anyway...with the yucky weather.

I was able to get the keys Tuesday, March 2nd....our anniversary! Patrick reserved a truck and took the rest of the day off. And I am proud to say that Patrick and I moved all of our stuff from storage to our house all by ourselves!!! It took 2 trips...and there's just a handful of boxes left in the storage unit to get still. What a romantic anniversary!?!?

Power was not turned on yet. So we just dropped everything off at the house and headed back to the apartment. We packed up most things that night. I made a drop off at the house when I took Elliott to school. I then went back and cleaned the apartment and did all our laundry. Power was turned on around noon...about 30 min before I got to the house! Thursday was another ice day. It was so nice to be able to get everything set up and mostly unpacked while we were iced in. We were expecting that...so that is why we tried so hard on Tuesday to get moved in!!

We are loving our home and have been busy getting it all set up to suit us!! And the kids LOVE having their own room. And I expect Emily is happy to be in a twin bed after 3 months of a pack and play!!!!

As soon as we get everything completely unpacked and settled, I'll post pics!