Tuesday, June 7, 2016

My Little Readers

Confession: Sometimes...the thought of summer break...scares me! Will I be able to entertain these kids all day long...without it ALL being screen time. My mom skills will definitely be tested! So we started out with a bang...we went to the library last Friday. Both kids got stocked up on books. Elliott is really excited with all the summer reading programs.

We do reading time at 3 pm. It's the hour before Patrick gets home...the kids start getting stir crazy...and this is a way to calm them down and for me to relax. So Friday...Elliott pulls out the 1st book and reads it...while I read to Emily. He finishes, so I help him log it on his reading list. He then shows me a pic of 2 princes kissing! What?!? I quickly read this book to myself....and discover the hidden agenda of this book. I'm shocked and appalled. I wasn't quite ready to have this talk with Elliott. And I hate that I had no clue what the content of this book was prior to HIM reading it by HIMSELF!! FYI...this book is called King & King (I guess I should have clued in by the title...but I didn't)...and it's way below is reading level...he's on a 2nd grade level.

The next day, I had a chat with the children's librarian about this book. She actually removed it from the little kids section and put it in the 3rd- 6th grade section....because of the content. She did say I can challenge it on their website...which I am planning on. Just not appropriate for these sweet innocent little kids. 

But I am so proud of Elliott and  the kind of reader he is becoming. I absolutely LOVE that he LOVES reading! He finished up reading all his books yesterday so that we could take another trip to the library today.