Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day at Brazos Bend

We were pretty excited to go back to Brazos Bend. We wanted to get there pretty early because that's when you see a lot of the alligators...once it gets hot...they go hide out in the waters. But, we got there too early..and they hadn't even opened yet! But it was just a few minutes we had to wait.

We saw around 25 alligators...I kept losing count. I don't have all 25 of them on here...that would get boring...but I have several good shots here.

This was our 1st alligator of the day. It was lying in the middle of the path with his tail toward us. I think he heard us, because he seemed to move so he could keep an eye on us. I made Patrick go ahead of me to pass to make sure this guy wasn't going to eat my little ones. I was pushing the stroller and holding Elliott's hand while he passed him. I was a nervous wreck. It would be completely different if it was just Patrick and me...but I had my babies with me. Patrick had fun taking some closeups...I was nervous of course...I thought for sure he was going to annoy the alligator.



This guy was growling and splashing around a lot...he had calmed down by the time we got to him.

Very stealth-like....creepy.


And here's the 2nd alligator we stumbled up on in our path. He's kinda creepy too. And of course I was a nervous wreck getting me and my kids across. He doesn't look too friendly.

See....creepy!



We saw 2 of these mommas laying their eggs....

So we saw the bottom alligator here approach the one on top and we were anticipating some action....but it was quite anti-climatic as the top one just moved away.

These duck-like birds (I really have no idea what they were....but their bills look "duck-like") were way up high in a tree...it was fun to see them all lined up.


Interesting to see this guy on the left with his mouth wide open.

Look at this tiny guy...he was about the size of a quarter.

The baby alligators were a lot of fun to see. There were a dozen or two. I counted nine on this little log.

And here's Momma very close by....


This was our last one of the day....this guy was moving!!

Yes...I do realize that I called most of these creatures "guys"...unless I knew for sure it was a Momma.....yeah I really have no idea.

We weren't going to go to the visitor center this time since Elliott refused to touch anything last time (must be my genes at work there). But he asked if he could and he promised that if we drove out there that he would touch them. So Patrick went and took him...here's a picture of him touching the baby alligator. He also touched a snake too. When I asked which one was his favorite, he said the snake! (Definitely, Patrick's genes at work there!!) I was pretty proud of him. 

If anyone is interested in going out there with us...we'd love to! Let us know!!!